This is a little listing of the newest happenings with the
Hespeler Heritage Railway Station Association. Any important
or interesting news is posted here. As well, minutes of many of our
our meetings will be available for you to view (this will become more regular soon).
- August 20, 1998 - CN has announced that RailTex will operate the Guelph and Fergus subs. This includes the track
in front of the station. Click here to read CN's
press release. No date has been set yet for the handover and it is unknown what impact this will have on rail traffic on
- June 17, 1998 - A new photograph and another (older)
newspaper article were added today.
- June 16, 1998 - Sadly, our chairman for the duration of our existence, Paul Langan, has resigned. Please
see the press release for more details.
- June 15, 1998 - We've moved! Our new home should be much faster and in a more appropriate location. Many thanks
to Railfan.net for the web space! Please, if you're interested in trains, check
out the many fine websites that Railfan.net has online.
- June 10, 1998 - Complete overhaul of the web site. The website has been re-designed and cleaned up.
A new photograph was added to the Photographs section.
- June 8, 1998 - Executive meeting held. [minutes to follow]
- May 23, 1998 - Some of the HHRSA executive cleaned up a large portion of the station today. The cargo area of
the station was left a huge mess after a combination of the previous tennants and the various fires. Plenty of
paper, cinders, wood scraps, and metal litter the entire cargo area. Much of this rubbish was cleaned up and
removed today. A similar day will finish off the job soon. Click here to see some photos
of the clean-up bee.
- May 11, 1998 - The City of Cambridge today voted to provide $10,000 to the HHRSA. This money is intended
to fund a feasibility study which will determine how much money is available in the area. It will also identify
targets for fundraising when that stage begins. Thank you City of Cambridge for the assistance!
- April 29, 1998 - Executive meeting held. [minutes]
- April 15, 1998 - Good news! We have received our Federal Registered Charity Status. This means that
we can accept tax deductible donations.
- April 3, 1998 - Well things are progressing slowly. Some of the latest developments are interesting though.
for one, the rails next to the station are for sale with rumours of interested short lines. This could be very
good news for us and could lead to some exciting events! Purchasing the station from a short line operator may
go much more smoothly and there is some interest in making Hespeler a terminus for the St. Jacobs tourist train.
This would be great considering Hespeler is right next to the 401. Of course, this is all pending on the purchase
of the line by a short line operator. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
- March 28, 1998 - Well we got word back about our historical designation and the news is... no. We didn't get
designated. However, this isn't really a problem. Our main goal for getting designated was so that CN couldn't
tear down the station on us. However, with the possible sale of the line, that isn't likely to happen. CN has
other things on its mind. I have available the Historic Sites and Monuments Board
report for your perusal. There is some good information in it that's worth reading.
- August 30, 1997 - The historian from Heritage Canada will be visiting the station on
September 11 to assess the station. This means we are on the road to possibly receiving
a historical designation. Let's hope all goes well (and quickly)!
- August 22, 1997 - We have more t-shirts and new hats for sale!
If you'd like more information about our station merchandise, please
send Andy some e-mail.
- August 16, 1997 - The National Historic Sites
Directorate of Heritage Canada is coming in September
to assess the station for a possible National Historic Site designation. The
process takes about a year. The first stage is the historian's visit to
Cambridge to gather information on the station's past.
- August 16, 1997 - The HHRSA is just waiting for Canadian National to determine an
access to the road from the station. This is to be finalized. Then
an offer can be made to purchase the station. It will take
appiroximately 3 months from the time the offer is made for the sale to
- August 16, 1997 - When the offer of sale for the station is signed, all members of the HHRSA
will be invited to visit the station for a tour. We'll be sure to keep you posted on this
(likely by press and phone).
- May 26, 1997 - presentation of wood stove to the press (as seen on CKCO-TV)
- May 24, 1997 - purchase of vintage train station wood stove
- May 22, 1997 - executive meeting held [minutes]
- May 15, 1997 - executive meeting held [minutes]
- March 3, 1997 - executive meeting held [minutes]
- February 22, 1997 - display at Images of Our Past in Cambridge Centre
- February 17, 1997 - meeting regarding Images of Our Past display
- February 13, 1997 - major update to the web pages
- February 10, 1997 - executive meeting held [minutes]
- January 25, 1997 - bowl-a-thon held at Playfair Lanes, Hespeler, over $1500 raised!
- January 20, 1997 - executive meeting held [minutes]
- January 13, 1997 - executive meeting held [minutes]
- December 9, 1996 - executive meeting held [minutes]